How long does it take to get to Fraser Island?
Updated Tue 06 Dec 2022
There are 2 ways to get to Fraser Island from the mainland. Since it is an island with no bridges visitors must either get there by water or by air. The most common way to get there is by a ferry or barge so guests can take their vehicle with them. Visitors to the island can choose to drive a 4WD to the island (either renting or taking their own) or by joining a tagalong or guided tour conducted by a tour company. Alternatively, guests can get a small plane from the mainland that will land on the beach of Fraser Island and begin their journey from there.
Getting from the mainland to the island:
There are daily ferries from River Heads near Hervey Bay that land in Kingfisher Bay or Wanggoolba Creek. There is also a barge that leaves from Inskip Point near Rainbow Beach for Hook Point on Fraser Island.
- River Heads to Kingfisher Bay by ferry: 50 minutes
- River Heads to Wanggoolba Creek by ferry: 30 minutes
- Inskip Point to Hook Point by ferry: 10 minutes
- Hervey Bay - Kingfisher Bay departures: Daily at 6:45 am, 9:00 am, 12:30 pm, 3:30 pm and 6:45 pm
- Kingfisher Bay - Hervey Bay departures: Daily at 7:50 am, 10:30 am, 2:00 pm, 5:00 pm and 8:30 pm
- Hervey Bay - Wanggoolba Creek departures: Daily at 8:30 am, 10:15 am and 4:00 pm
- Wanggoolba Creek - Hervey Bay departures: Daily at 9:00 am, 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm
- Rainbow Beach - Hook Point departures: Operates daily from 6:00 am - 5:15 pm. 2 ferries run back and forth every 30 minutes
- Hook Point - Rainbow Beach departures: Operates daily from 6:00 am - 5:15 pm 2 ferries run back and forth every 30 minutes
Getting to the Fraser Coast
If you are visiting Fraser Island from other parts of Australia in a campervan, car or other vehicle, you should think about how long it will take you to reach the departure points to the island. These times are lengthier in a bus or train.
Driving times to Hervey Bay/River Heads:
- From Brisbane: 3.5 hours
- From Byron Bay: 5 hours
- From Noosa: 2.5 hours
- From Sydney: 13 hours
- From the Whitsundays/Airlie Beach: 9.5 hours
- From Cairns: 16 hours
Driving times to Rainbow Beach/Inskip Point:
- From Brisbane: 3 hours
- From Byron Bay: 4.5 hours
- From Noosa: 2 hours
- From Sydney: 12.5
- From the Whitsundays/Airlie Beach: 9 hours
- From Cairns: 15.5 hours
Visitors may also choose to fly to the regional airport found in Hervey Bay before making their way to the island. From here you can choose to join a tour or rent your own 4WD to visit the island. It is practical to depart from Hervey Bay/River Heads if you choose to fly into the region.
- Flying times to Hervey Bay Airport:
- From Brisbane (Qantas): 1 hour
- From Sydney (Virgin Australia): 1 hour 45 minutes
- From Lady Elliot Island (Lady Elliot Island): 40 minutes
There is no shortage of ways or routes to reach Fraser Island. Visitors come from all over the world by all means of transport just to see this amazing part of the world. No matter which way you choose to get here, you can feel confident and get excited that it will be worth every step of the way!